The architect of the Second Bank of the United States was William Strickland (1788-1854), a former student of Benjamin Latrobe (1764-1820), the man who is often called the first professionally-trained American architect. Latrobe and Strickland were both disciples of the Greek Revival style. Strickland would go on to design many other American public buildings in this style, including financial structures such as the New Orleans, Dahlonega, Mechanics National Bank (also in Philadelphia) and Charlotte branch mints in the mid-to-late 1830s, as well as the second building for the main U.S. Mint in Philadelphia in 1833.
The statue of Robert Morris, by sculptor Paul Wayland Bartlett and seen before the Second Bank of the United States of America, was cast in 1925 and originally dedicated on the Chestnut Street steps of the Second Bank of the United States on June 18, 1926. In 1961, it was moved to its current site in a courtyard, facing north towards the bank. The statue depicts Morris making his way through the snow during his mission to raise funds for Washington's troops at Valley Forge. In his proper left coat pocket is a scroll representing the $1,400,000 subscription list he obtained in order to help Americans win at Yorktown. Robert Morris Jr. (1734-1806) was an American merchant and a signer to the United States Declaration of Independence, the Articles of Confederation, and the United States Constitution. Morris was known as the Financier of the Revolution, because of his role in securing financial assistance for the American side in the Revolutionary War. Ironically, he was sent to debtor's prison in later life.