Ethel Herrick Warwick was born in 1885, in New York City. In 1901, she moved to Philadelphia where she eventually enrolled at the Moore Institute of Art and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. During this time, she studied with Fred Wagner, Hugh Breckenridge, Henry B. Snell, Earl Horter, and E. O’Hara. During her active years as an artist, she also received instruction from such artists as Francis Speight, Nicola D’Ascenzo, and George Laurence Nelson.
In 1912, Ethel Herrick married Edward Warwick, a respected artist who later became Dean of the Philadelphia College of Art for twenty years.
Mrs. Warwick painted continually throughout her life. Landscapes, still lifes, interiors, and portraits fill her oeuvre. She did many “post mortems,” a very difficult facet of the portrait field. When she worked she usually did not do any preliminary sketches or studies. Instead she simply began with a few charcoal gestures on her canvas, and leapt into painting with lively color and value sense, fleshing out details with her brushes and paint.
Her house in Germantown was often the meeting place of many artist friends – Robert Riggs, Earl Horter, N.C. Wyeth, Arthur E. Bye, Henry Pitz, among others, were known to visit and participate in lively discussions. She also counted among her friends many respected women painters of the time, such as Fern Coppedge, Katherine Farrell, and Elizabeth Washington. The ladies often painted together.
Beginning in 1925, the Warwick family began spending their summer months in the small Connecticut town of Washington. The isolation and quiet of country life allowed Mrs. Warwick to complete some of her finest work.
Mrs. Warwick was a member of the Plastic Club of Philadelphia, the Philadelphia Art Alliance, the Print Club, the Colonial Dames, the Society of the Magna Carta, and the Cosmopolitan Club. She exhibited at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts on an annual basis, due to a fellowship she had earned. Other prestigious institutions where she exhibited included, the Art Institute of Chicago, Woodmere Art Museum, the Philadelphia Plastic Club, and annually at the National League of American Pen Women. Her work is in the permanent collection of Pennsylvania State University and many private collections.