George Newman was born in Philadelphia in 1875, the son of George C. Newman who, along with his brother, Adolph, founded Newman Galleries in 1865.
He studied art at the Spring Garden Institute in Philadelphia, and was the recipient of both the gold and silver medals upon graduation. He then continued his studies at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, and later in Paris with Frederick Rondel (National Academician).
Returning to Philadelphia, he was employed by a newspaper, The Philadelphia Ledger, as a courtroom and news artist. In addition, as a free-lance artist, he was commissioned to do architectural renderings, as well as book illustrations and landscapes.
Moving in 1937 to the rural Pennsylvania countryside near Lansdale enhanced his interest in landscape painting, a career at which he excelled until his death in 1965.
A versatile artist in all mediums, he exhibited extensively, including the Baum Gallery in Sellersville, the Old York Road Art Club, the Woodmere Museum in Chestnut Hill, and the Inn at Buck Hill Falls.