Edmund Martino was born in Philadelphia on July 21, 1915. He was the youngest of seven brothers, all of who established creative careers throughout their lifetimes. In 1922, Edmund, Frank, Antonio, Alberto, Ernesto, Giovanni, and Guglielmo opened Martino Studios in Philadelphia. Edmund, Antonio, and Giovanni are recognized as noted Bucks County landscape impressionists.
In October of 1940, Edmund was called to serve in the United States Army, however he was rejected for service due to an arthritic elbow. Later, he joined the Coast Guard and designed propaganda that was used to garner support for the war effort.
Edmund specialized in still lifes, landscapes and portraits, and he exhibited extensively. He found inspiration in the work of Picasso and Braque and many critics saw stylistic parallels between Martino's work and that of Cézanne.
His works were shown at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts Annual Exhibitions nine times from 1937 to 1954. He also participated in the 1951 biennial at the Corcoran Gallery of Art, and exhibited at the Philadelphia Art Alliance, the Allentown Art Museum, and the Butler Institute of American Art, as well as many other venues.
Edmund Martino died on January 2, 2000.